*This Contest is Closed*
Almost a year ago from this very day, we posted a recipe for Soy Nog Cupcakes and a contest. A contest that was so epic — people got so excited that for the year following this little contest — we were still getting emails asking when we were going to have this contest again… Well. Here it is!
The return of The Very Special VegNews Contest* and this year’s awesome Soy Nog recipe! As we mentioned last year — this is a magical season! We have excuses to buy and make presents for each other. Which I love. People host parties centered around cookies.Which is as awesome as it sounds. People donate and volunteer more during these winter holiday months than any of time of the year. Which is incredibly important and I wish happened more. There is random mistletoe everywhere to kiss your husband under. Which is one of my favorite holiday traditions**. And the retour au sommet… Silk Soy Nog hits the shelves.
I was trying to find a way to top last year’s cupcakes and then it hit me… everyone loves vegan cheesecake. I mean everyone. Bring this clandestine vegan treat to any party and watch it disappear plate by plate and you are guaranteed at least one “Hmmm. This is vegan?”
This is a recipe that I think might become a new tradition for us – like partnering up with one of our favorite magazines, VegNews–the premier magazine focusing on a vegetarian lifestyle since 2000–to bring you this contest!
All you have to do to win is leave a comment below answering these 3 questions:
What has been your favorite Meet The Shannons Recipe thus far? This will help us plan out our posts for next year.
What recipe have you always wanted to see veganized? This will help us make sure the book we’re writing covers everything you ever wanted.
What is your favorite feature on VegNews.com – Book Club, Cafe VegNews, Savvy Vegan…?
Before you leave your comment – Remember in order to win one of our contests, you need to be a “Member” of Meet The Shannons. If we can’t email you, then we can’t send you your prize! So before you leave your comment with the answers, make sure you use the “Join” button in the right hand column of this blog.
We’ll randomly choose a Member from the correct answers posted below on Jan. 1st and send you a MAJOR AWARD! (Please keep in mind that it will take a few days for processing and shipping). What is this major award all the kids are talking about? Well, a gift pack from VegNews, of course! This includes a one-year subscription, the current issue of VegNews, an over-sized tote bag, and six vegan cookies, a gift pack totaling $50!
I know. That is a Major Award! That goes great with vegan cheesecake… let’s make some.
Soy Nog Cheesecake with Buttery Rum Sauce
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Margarine
1 Tablespoon Applesauce
1/4 teaspoon Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
Pinch of Nutmeg
3 Packages Vegan Cream Cheese (softened)
1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
1 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Flour
3/4 Cup Soy Nog
1 Tablespoon Orange Peel (grated)
1 teaspoon Rum or Rum Extract
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Tablespoons Applesauce
3 Tablespoons EnerG Egg Replacer (just the powder not prepared as instructed on the package)
2 Tablespoons Vegan Sour Cream
Vegetable Shortening to grease the Springform Pan
Heat oven to 400.
Assemble bottom and side of the pan; secure side. Lightly grease 9-inch springforn pan with vegetable shortening.
In a bowl, mix the Crust Ingredients with a fork until dough forms; gather into a ball. Press remaining dough 2 inches up side of the pan. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until light golden brown; cool.
Heat oven to 475.
In a bowl, beat Vegan Cream Cheese, Coconut Flour, Sugar, Flour, Orange Peel and Salt with an electric hand held mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Beat in Soy Nog, Rum, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Applesauce, Egg Replacer and Vegan Sour Cream on a low speed until well blended. Make sure you don’t have any lumps. Pour your Cheesecake blend into the pan over the crust. Use your spatula to scrap the sides and smooth out the top.
Bake 15 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 200. Bake for an additional 1 hour – no longer. Cheesecake may not appear done, but if a small area in the center seems soft it will become solid when it cools. Don’t do the toothpick/bamboo skewer test. Turn off oven, leave Cheesecake in the oven 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cool in a pan on a wire rack away from drafts 30 minutes.
Without releasing or removing side of the pan, run a metal spatula or a butter knife carefully along the side of the Cheesecake to loosen. Refrigerate uncovered overnight at least 9 hours but no longer than 48.
Run metal spatula or butter knife carefully around the side of the Cheesecake to loosen again. Remove the side of the pan.
|It’s hard being patient but it’s how you get the nice clean sides to your cheesecakes.|
Leave the Cheesecake on the bottom of the springform pan to serve.
This cheesecake is pretty fabulous but there is one thing that might actually make it better… warm Buttery Rum Sauce. I’ll give you a minute to recover from your collective GASP!
Buttery Rum Sauce
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Margarine
1/4 to 1/2 Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Rum or Rum Extract
Heat all the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat starting with 1/4 cup of Brown Sugar. As it melts, add more 1 tablespoon at time while stirring contentiously. We ended up adding a little over 1/3 cup. Once your sauce begins to bubble. Remove from heat. Let it cool until it is warm to the touch but not so hot it’ll burn your face off. It’ll take about 3 minutes.
* I won’t lie – this made me laugh for like 15 minutes.
** Not to be too braggy but my husband is pretty cute.
38 thoughts on “The Return of Very Special VegNews Contest & Soy Nog Cheesecake with Buttery Rum Sauce”
Favorite recipe: German Chocolate Cake – the original has so many eggs, it was hard to imagine how a vegan version would turn out. 🙂
Would love to see: Pecan Pie
Favorite VegNews.com feature: Cafe VegNews – I love seeing what other people eat!
Favorite: Lemon Pepper Farro with Vegetables
Veganize: Petit Four
Favorite vegnews.com feature: Savvy Vegan – thrifty is nifty 🙂
Favorite recipe: FRIED PICKLES! but I think it could soon be this cheesecake 😀
I'd love to find a vegan cannoili recipe. My italian boyfriend would swoon!
I love “THIS JUST IN” – a nice glimpse to the awesome swag at VegNews.
My favorite recipe(s): Hopping John (smoky bean goodness) and Mojito bars, because if summer had a flavor, they would taste just like those bars.
Would love a kick-butt vegan quiche recipe.
Favorite Veg News section: the Ask 10 questions section.
1. I loved the frozen coconut pie
2. I have an old frozen (see a theme here?) lemon pie recipe that I would like to see veganized. A major ingredient is egg yolks which is why I haven't done it.
3. I like the VegNews Daily.
1) I LOVED the rosemary dark beer tofurky! Made it for Thanksgiving this year and it was a big hit.
2) It would be so great to have a good vegan lemon curd recipe.
3) I like Cafe Veg News – it's fun to get lunch inspiration!
1. So far I've really loved your Pad Thai recipe.
2. It would be amazing if you could develop a vegan goat cheese or vegan Brie
3. I like the Cafe Veg News the best!
1. The Tuscan Lemon Cake or the Dill Pickle Chips which I am making this week!
2. My nan used to make steak and gravy with dumplings cooked right on top. If you really want to work on this one with me, I can give you the recipe as I have it now.
3. This Just In is my favourite even though I then spend the rest of the day longing after all the cool stuff they get!
Favorite recipe: So hard to choose! I'm going with the Caramel Sticky Rolls.
To be veganized: eclairs
Favorite VegNews feature: This Just In (makes me incredibly jealous, but I love seeing all the new vegan things!)
1) German Chocolate cake, hands down.
2) Hmmm…Paula Dean has this “Gooey Butter Cake” that I would like to see veganized. It's pretty much the worst thing in the world for you, but I remember thinking it was delish.
3) I love “This Just In,” except I know I won't be seeing it in the Midwest for a couple of years or so!
1. I'll go with this one, 'cause it's a first for me!
2. angel food cake
3. They tend to be the featurettes.
–LAR, itzLaurenR at aol dot com
1. wow, i just discovered your site, and there are approximately a bajillion recipes that i'd like to try. i think first on the list will be pizza dip…sounds amazing for football parties!
2. i'd love to see a vegan version of a recipe i have for angel food cake with a whipped cream/butterfinger filling. it's unbelievable.
3. savvy vegan!
1. Like many other, I just found this blog, and am all too excited about trying out all of your recipes! I can't wait to try, and I think the Soy Nog cupcakes will actually be my first recipe to try out.
2. I used to make a dessert called Berries in a Cloud. It is a merinuge based crust with a filling of cream cheese, marshmallows and whip topping. Finally, it is topped with berries in glaze of your choice. My family loved it and requested it at every holiday. I would love to be able to veganize it since I now won't make it.
3. Being the literature person I am, I have to go with Book Club!
1) My favorite recipe so far are the Vegan Devil's Food Cupcakes.
2) I'd love to see a vegan version of Little Smokies!
3) My favorite feature of VegNews.com, is the blog Cafe VegNews.
1. Favorite Recipe: That is really hard to say because there are so many! I'm going to go with Pad Thai since it was the last one I made.
2. Recipe I would like to see veganized would actually be some of our family recipes, or maybe a vegan prime rib roast – since there is vegan chicken and vegan turkey? Other than that, it appears that most of the things I would want veganized have already been handled.
3. Favorite VegNews Feature: This Just In
Best recipe: nacho knots! NOM.
What I'd like to see veganized: creme brulee
Fav VN Feature: Savvy Vegan cuz I love hearing about ways to save money and DIY ideas.
Best Recipe-Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Pie
Veganized-broccoli cheese rice casserole
Vegnews-travel so I know where to eat out
I know this may be boring, but we loved your veggie soup with gardein in it, lawd was it tasty!
I've always wanted a Chocolate Madeleines Recipe or another little Fancy French cookie that is all fluff.
please veganize mont blancs!
Favorite: Stuffed Crust Pizza
Veganize: Lemon Pound Cake
Love: Cafe Veg News (short and sweet!)
This looks delicious! I must try this.
Favorite Recipe: Definitely the Beer Can Tofurky – it's the recipe that I initially discovered your blog with!
Want to Veganize: Deviled Eggs
VegNews Love: Savvy Vegan!
Favorite Meet The Shannons Recipe thus far: Pink Lemonade Cupcakes because I LOVE sweets (and lemonade)
Recipe have you always wanted to see veganized? Macarons. They look so yummy…
My favorite feature on VegNews.com: This just in. I love seeing new vegan products and wondering what I'm going to try next.
Favorite Recipe: Pink Lemonade Cupcakes – reminds me of summer any time of year and tastes delicious too!
Recipe to Veganize: Coconut Cream Pie
VegNews Favorite: Book Club – I always love to read something new.
Joined/following on GFC
Favorite Recipe (so far): the Shortbread Cookies!
Recipe to Veganize:French Canadian Tourtiere
Vegnews Favorite: “This Just In” vegnews blog!!
Following on Google Friend Connect
Favorite Recipe – Caramel Sticky Rolls
Recipe to Veganize – Cranberry Scones
VegNews Favorite – “This Just In” to see all the new, exciting products
I would love to see pavlova veganized. I have a family recipe that is well loved and raved about but I am way too intimidated to try and sub out that many eggs. The thing is basically eggs and vanilla. Sigh.
Favorite Recipe – gotta be the vegan fried egg, I mean, come on!
Recipe to Veganize – any cookie or cake, it's been the hardest for me (so I'll pass that torch to the professionals)
VegNews Favorite – Sazzy Vegan
favorite Meet The Shannons Recipe = Beef Stew want to see veganized = meatloaf
favorite feature on VegNews.com = Cafe VegNews – I love all the recipes and awesome pics to get me excited in the kitchen.
I follow you and have you on my blog reading list. Love what ya'll are doing with the Betty Crocker Cookbook!
My favourite recipe has been the BLT Crostinis!
I'd love a veganized eggs benedict recipe.
on vegnews.com I love “What's Cooking”.
GFC Sophie Strout
* My favorite Meet the Shannons recipe, right now, is the one for Soy Nog Cupcakes. I'll be making them for a bake sale held in Willow Glen, CA on Dec. 17th with Santa Clara County Activists for Animals. Thanks for your permission, Annie!
* I would be interested in seeing a veganized recipe for fortune cookies. As a kid, I made a batch of fortune cookie dough and asked my friends to create fortunes for a slumber party. Pretty fun!
* The Saavy Vegan feature is my favorite from VegNews.
My favorite recipe so far is the vegan fried egg.
It is very cleaver although I have not had the time to try making it.
What I would most like to see veganized is meatloaf. I have made dozens of veggie loaves and I have yet to hit on a proper meatloaf replacement.
on vegnews.com I love the feturettes. They usually have helpful tips like the 10 ways to bet Holiday stress and the one with a GF Thanksgiving Day menu. Awesome!
1. Antipasto Pasta Salad
2. Angel food cake
3. This Just In
Thank you for the giveaway!
1. German Chocolate Cake
2. Veganize- Smokey non-soy meat substitute; for example many “old school” bean recipes call for a ham hock to add a smoky-salty flavor
3. Veg News and daily recipes
1. Baked Buffalo Tofu Steaks with Ranch Dressing Dip. Love.
2. Um…I've been thinking a lot about my Grandma's tater tot hotdish. (I probably am revealing my Minnesota roots with this one…)
I love when I can find recipes that are classics from my childhood and have them veganized.
3. Savvy vegan.
1. BLT Crostinis
2. Make a vegan version of panettone please!
3. This Just In!
I love your recipes!
1. Favorite Meet the Shannons recipe – the soy nog cheesecake. Tried it using coconut nog this year, and that took it to a whole new level.
2. None left – between your site and a few others, some great cookbook authors, and my kitchen explorations, everything I've ever really loved to eat has been veganized. I love my life!
3. Savvy vegan is my go to at VegNews.com