So I’ve been watching all the Star Trek Movies. It’s been a bit of a marathon – if you will – and pretty much an awesome 48 thus far. Here are just a few of my preliminary observations :
- Best Line : Please, Captain, Not in front of the Klingons – Mr. Spock in Star Trek V – The Final Frontier
- Best Klingon (guest star): Christopher Plummer as Gerenal Chang in Star Trek VI – The Undiscovered Country
- Best Vulcan (guest star): I have to give it to Kim Catrell’s smug Valeris from Star Trek VI – The Undiscovered Country because Kristie Alley’s Saavik in Wrath of Khan is just dreadful. Really just a terrible guest Vulcan for an otherwise great movie.
- Best Villain : DUH?! Ricardo Montalban giving the performance of a lifetime as one of the best space villains ever. Though I do give props to Eric Bana for his role as Nero in the latest Star Trek (the reboot).
- Biggest Tear-Jerker : SPOILER ALERT – OK – I admit I got a little torn up when Spock says “Jim. Your name is…Jim” in Search for Spock. Oh Man…But I have to go with Voyage Home and when the crew of the Enterprise saves George and Gracie from whalers and brings them to a time when they will be safe. Getting a little worked up just thinking about it. Makes me wish Sea Shepherds had a Bird of Prey.
Oh and while I was trying to complete my mission to write this blog post – I found a pretty amazing picture of Spock punching Wolverine in the face and had to share.
Another mission I have had lately is to try to eat a salad a day. There are a lot of cookies floating around this home of ours right now and other various deliciousness and although we are still having smoothies for breakfast and I have stopped drinking caffeine… well I still wanted some salad in my life. I do admit that this salad has heaps of avocado and sheese so it might not be the healthiest but it is still one of the best Betty Salads we’ve made since starting this project. I love this Toasted Walnut Dressing and can’t wait to try it with some fresh bread or just some baby carrots. I am pretty much in love with it x1,000. I love it like Captain Kirk loves women with big hair.
(makes 2 large salads and about a bottle of dressing)
Toasted Walnut Dressing
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup Crushed Walnuts (toasted – to toast you can cook in a skillet for around 5 minutes at a medium heat till they are golden brown*)
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Capers
1 clove Garlic (minced)
1/4 teaspoon Vegan Parmesan Cheese
1/4 teaspoon Dried Rosemary (crushed)
Dash of Black Pepper
Add all ingredients to an airtight container and shake. Shake before each time you use it.
2 cups Chopped Romaine Lettuce (that’s 1 per salad – this recipe makes 2 salads so if you want to make say 4 salads – you have to double it)
1/3 cup Smoked Cheddar Sheese (cubed)
1 Avocado (sliced)
1/3 cup Baby Carrots
1/3 cup Kalamata Olives
Raw Sunflower Seeds, Dried Cranberries & Bac-Os to sprinkle over the top.
This makes 2 salads – so you can either toss all the ingredients in a large bowl with the Toasted Walnut Salad Dressing and serve family style or split up evenly between 2 servings. It’s your party – you decide.
*This will make your kitchen smell nice.